Sunday, August 29, 2010

Flax Seed Bread


Sunday is the day when you're supposed to take it easy and be relax.  But in reality, it's most often the day that household chores are done in my household.  My chores were a mile long, barked like a military order:  bake a bread, do laundry, do a quick food photo session, get lunch, help put up shelves in bedroom, touch up the wall with paint, vacuum, mop, clean the backyard.  Pheww...when all of those were done, I could finally wipe my forehead; literally, sweats coming from raking the fallen leaves in the backyard.

But, I got a chance, even if it's only a sliver of relaxation, to have a lazy breakfast.  No need to cook elaborate breakfast dishes; I only serve slices of my flax seed bread, butter, and chocolate sprinkles.  Spreading chocolate sprinkles on buttered bread slices is definitely something from old tradition growing up in Indonesia that I keep till now.  My son grows to love it too, and I made sure I bought some packages of chocolate sprinkles when we went back to Indonesia.  There are three different types of chocolate sprinkles sold, milk chocolate, classic (which is taste like dark chocolate), and festive (which is colored sprinkles mixed in with chocolate ones).  These chocolate sprinkles are quite different from the sprinkles I find here in the US since the chocolate sprinkles from Indonesia are made with real chocolate, not just sugar.

I often make flax seed bread because not only it tastes good, it's also a way to serve flax seed to my family.  I couldn't eat them raw, neither could my other family members.  They're still quite crunchy in the bread but in a good way.  So even if the sliced bread is buttered and sprinkled with chocolate, at least the flax seed is providing healthy addition.

Flax Seed Bread


Yield 1 1/2-pound loaf



1 1/8 cup water

2 tablespoons canola oil

3 tablespoons honey

3 cups bread flour

1/4 cup nonfat dry milk

2 tablespoons flax seed

1 tablespoon gluten

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoon SAF yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast



Place all the ingredients in the pan according to the order in the manufacturer's instructions.  Set crust on medium and program for the Basic cycle; press Start.  (This recipe may be made using the Delay Timer.)

When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack.  Let cool to room temperature before slicing.



Source:  The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful loaf Eliza. Butter and chocolate sprinkles remind me of quick breakfast that I had in Indonesia :)

    thanks Elra, any tradition that's good is worth keeping :)

    ReplyDelete