Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Roasted Root Vegetable and Wilted Romaine Salad


Perhaps before you're going to overindulge in two days, remember that this salad will be super to have afterwards.  With roasted root vegetables like carrots, beets, parsnips, and turnips, this is one super healthy, rich in vitamins and surprisingly, very fulfilling salad.  I think roasting vegetables is one of my favorite ways to cook them because it brings out the sweetness with a bit of smokiness.

Now that school's off for a week, I thought I'd have more time to relax at home but unfortunately, such a inspiration is harder to achieve.  My son has been bugging me to play Wii games with him whenever I have a spare time.  Last night, I played some games with him, and frankly, I actually enjoyed it after haven't played for ages.  We had a good laugh over some pixelated characters, and my husband was even amused--since he didn't play with us.



Well, I know that Thanksgiving is two days away (well, who doesn't?) but I'm in a bit of a pickle.  My lower oven of my double ovens has finally gone kaput.  It stopped working about a month ago, but it went back working again.  But after setting it in high temperature a couple of weeks ago, it decided that enough was enough.  No more baking.  Unless I change its igniter.  Which I ordered just tonight.  Sigh.

So I'm without an oven but I still can bake!  How come?  My parents live next door which means I can still bake.  But I don't want to bake too many things because it's still a hassle to transport things back and forth.  I'll bake a pie for sure but no more.  The rest of the dinner story will be told after Thanksgiving :)

Roasted Root Vegetable and Wilted Romaine Salad


Makes 12 servings

2 medium fresh beets (about 12 ounces)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper
1 ¾ pounds fresh carrots, turnips, and/or parsnips
4 medium shallots, peeled and quartered
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1 clove garlic, minced
8 cups torn romaine
½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

Preheat the oven to 375F.  Wash and peel the beets, cut into 1-inch pieces.  Place in a 2-quart baking dish.  Toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the salt and pepper to taste.  Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  

Meanwhile, peel the carrots, turnips, and/or parsnips.  Cut carrots and turnips into irregular-shape 1-inch pieces.  Cut parsnips into irregular ¾-inch pieces.  Place in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.  Add shallots.  Toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.  Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.

Remove foil from dish with beets, stir beets gently.  Increase oven temperature to 425F.  Return beets to oven and place pan with carrot mixture alongside beets.  Roast both pans, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, for dressing, in a screw-top jar combine the 6 tablespoons olive oil, the white wine vinegar, thyme, Dijon-style mustard, honey, garlic, and additional salt and pepper to taste; cover and shake well.

To serve, in a large bowl toss the romaine with the dressing to coat.  Place on a platter.  Top with the hot vegetables.  Sprinkle pecans and parsley over all.  Serve immediately.


Source:  Better Homes and Garden, Holiday Recipes 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment