Saturday, May 2, 2015

Oreo Chocolate Cheesecake in a Jar



It's another chocolate post! After I've been absent for a while, I'm coming back with a special treat.  See how nice I am? :)

This chocolate cheesecake is super yummy with extra creamy and smooth texture.  The chocolate is accented with orange because it has a small amount of orange zest.  I'm a person who like chocolate and orange flavor together--that goes with chocolate and mint, another favorite combo.  The moment I hit a spoonful of this creamy treat, I know I hit a jackpot :)  I gave the jar to my husband and his eyes instantly lit up, and we hadn't had dinner yet!


And who doesn't love the idea of baking cheesecake in a jar?  It's really cute and not to mention, personalized.  Each of us can get a serving of this treat and we don't have to share.  I must say baking this is way easier than baking a whole cheesecake.  I'd like to try a regular cheesecake next time and perhaps top it with fresh fruits.  The recipe was printed in the Oregonians' Food Day section two years ago and I've been meaning to make it.  Yet it sat in my baking folder forgotten until recently when I browsed some recipes in the folder.  The original jar size is 4-ounce but I use 8-ounce jars which are perfectly fine.  Other than that, I made it exactly like the recipe said.


The Oreo cookie crumbs is optional, if you can resist it, ha!  Originally I wanted to also include whipped cream but sadly, I didn't have any in the fridge.  That would be very nice with whipped cream, wouldn't it?  With or without whipped cream, please make this, your loved ones will appreciate you so much!


Oreo Chocolate Cheesecake in a Jar


Makes about 5 (8-ounce) servings


1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¾ cup sour cream
1 small pinch grated orange zest
3 eggs
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Oreo cookies for decoration
Whipped cream, optional


Preheat oven to 325F degrees.

In a stand mixer fitted with the wire whip attachment, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.  Beat in the sour cream, followed by the orange zest.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low after each just until blended and smooth.

In a double boiler over barely simmering water, melt chocolate chips and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.  Stir melted chocolate into batter.  Finish mixing with a hand whisk to ensure there are no lumps and the mixture has a uniform color and appearance.

Pour batter into 8-ounce canning jars, stopping ¼ inch below the rim.  Place jars in a 9-by-13-inch pan and add enough warm water to the pans to come halfway up the sides of the jars.  Bake 25 minutes or until centers are almost set.  Cool completely and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.

Place Oreo cookies in a plastic bag and pound them with rolling pin until crumbles.  Scoop crumbles onto cheesecake and add whipped cream is desired.


Source:  Chef Greg Priest, Albertina's Restaurant, Portland



2 comments:

  1. I love little individual desserts like these cheesecakes and I have a feeling that they are so rich and decadent that you probably would only want a little serving anyway. The oreo/chocolate combination is just so delicious.. so I wish I had one to devour now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and the serving size is just perfect for us. With just 3 of us, we feel like we can finish these rather quickly :)

      Delete