Saturday, December 12, 2015

Cocoa Snickerdoodles

I've started baking again about a week ago, a few days after Thanksgiving break ended.  In the beginning, I had a baking frenzy that lasted two days, which these cookies were the first to be made, then it tapered off until I picked it up again on the weekend.  I guess when the house went back to normal--meaning there's no more guest--I was liberated.  I could do whatever I want!  I found that there's time to think about what I want to bake, things to plan with my free time.  As a start, cookies are in high priority item in my to-do list.

This cocoa snickerdoodles are too pretty to be eaten, aren't they?  Its flavor is the same as that of Mexican chocolate with its main ingredient being cinnamon as well as cocoa powder.  We love eating it because they are crunchy on the edges and chewy in the middle.  I was out of the white sanding sugar, as the recipe called for it, but I had plenty of the red.  I don't think the color matters, how the cookies taste is more important.

If I could keep my baking energy high, I could have a dozen cookie variety by Christmas!


Cocoa Snickerdoodles


Yields about 18 cookies


1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup red sanding sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 375F.

Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.  Beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.  Increase the speed to medium high and beat until fluffy, about 2 more minutes.  Beat in the egg and vanilla; reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the flour mixture until just combined.

Combine the sanding sugar and cinnamon in a small shallow bowl.  Form heaping tablespoonfuls of dough into balls with damp hands; toss in the cinnamon sugar to coat.  Arrange about 3 inches apart on 2 baking sheets.

Bake, switching the pans halfway through, until the cookies are set around the edge, 9 to 11 minutes.  Let cool 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.


Source:  Food Network Magazine, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment