Monday, August 29, 2016

Cream Cheese Marbled Pecan Brownies


I have not done anything with chocolate lately because I was obsessed with fruits of the season.  So when I mentioned to my family that I was going to bake brownies, the resounding yes was heard :D


Yes, cream cheese brownies have been done all over the place and may not gone out of trend but since I have not made it for ages, I think it is safe to say that it is time to test a new recipe.  Besides, who doesn't want to eat brownies anyway?  The recipe looks promising in the beginning and it didn't disappoint at the end.  When my son asked what kind of chocolate I used, it made me think that, as the saying goes, the better the chocolate the better the end result is.  I answered him, yes, I used the good kind because I believe that if my family were to eat high-calorie food, might as well made it with good quality ingredients :)


The brownie part came out moist, fudgy, and has a deep chocolate flavor, the cream cheese has a custardy texture which is soft and creamy, and the pecans add crunchiness to each bit.  It was so good sinking my teeth into it, especially around the edges where there's crispy bits of brownies can be found.

I have a feeling that I will be making this again soon...



Cream Cheese Marbled Pecan Brownies


Makes 40 brownies (small cut) or 24 ( big cut)

1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cu unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degreeF.  Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil about 1 inch over edges of pan.  Grease foil; set pan aside.

In a small mixing bowl beat cream cheese and the 2 tablespoons butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until creamy.  Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy.  Beat in 1 egg and 1 tablespoon flour until combined.  Set aside.

In a medium saucepan heat and stir chocolate and the 3/4 cup butter over low heat until melted and smooth.  Transfer to a large mixing bowl.  Gradually add the 2 1/4 cups sugar, beating on low sped until combined.  Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.  Beat in milk, vanilla, and almond extract.  In a small bowl stir together the 1 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt.  Gradually beat in flour mixture just until combined.

Pour chocolate batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly.  Spoon cream cheese mixture in mounds on top of chocolate batter.  Using a table knife or narrow metal spatula, gently swirl cream cheese mixture into chocolate batter to marble.  Sprinkle with pecans.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached.  Cool in pan on a wire rack.  Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut brownies out of pan.  Cut into bars.

To store:  Place brownies in a single layer in an airtight container; cover.  Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.


Source:  adapted from Better Homes and Gardens: Baking

No comments:

Post a Comment